Thursday, August 28, 2008

Yoga

Guess what? I had a yoga class today! (",)

I had wanted to attend such kind of classes since long time ago. People said that it is really good in order to improve our breathing and helps to reduce stress.

Before I had my lunch this afternoon, I got out of my office to wash my hands. Suddenly, a girl stood behind me and spoke something in Norwegian. As what I used to do now, I listened first and then made my guess on what she was saying based on the few words that I could catch up and understood. Usually I got them correctly, but this time I was wrong. As I said "No", she repeat everything in English and I did say "Yes" after that.

She's organizing a 1-hour-yoga class in the meeting room just few doors from my office. Although it just cost NOK20, there were only few people coming. Maybe the advertisement didn't spread widely. We learned about how to do the deep breathing initially and then followed by some exercises which using that style of breathing.

We use deep breathing at times when we need energy or want to feel calm: during yoga, during exercise (instead of panting on the treadmill and using only your chest to breathe, deepen and slow the breath), before stressful confrontations, before doing something you don't like to do, before meditation (a warm-up that calms the mind), or just for the fun of it (to feel calm and at peace). We don't use deep breathing during meditation. That is the time when you want to be aware of your breath, but not necessarily controlling it.

Although it's kind of difficult to change from normal breathing to that deep breathing in my first class, I did feel the difference. Focusing on the breathing concentrates my mind. Feel so good now. Looking forward for the next class. (",)

No comments: